Dance- no ones watching! Love- you're not hurt! Sing- no ones listening! Live- heaven is on earth!

My Photo
lavender tulips【ツ】
United Kingdom
I'm a complete nutcase & I love it! I've been in a kind of life crisis *shriek* for a little while now, but I believe everything will sort itself =) Visit if you'd like to see recipe's, pictures of food, silly pictures of me and my friends, stories of my travels and general rantings from explosions of my brain cells.
View my complete profile

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Still feeling sick!

This bug/infection thingie I've got is really bugging me now. Pun wasn't intended.
First of all I can't eat anything but plain yoghurt, which puts me in a crappy mood & I can't cook. I usually really enjoy going out for a meal & we went to Tea House tonight which is one of my favourite places, but I could feel my body craving soup or fruit, which ever is easier to swallow. The steroids are making me feel yuck & my tummy isn't doing too good either. Plus I've been coughing so hard...if anyone sees my lung somewhere, please return it back to me!

Anyway, Tea House is usually one of my favourite spots. I still don't get why its so surprising that I talk to the chinese waiters in chinese. When I say something to them in chinese, they look at me like I was wearing a see through dress. I mean Mandarin's just another language and anyone can learn a language right? When I return the fork & spoon they give me with my meal & ask for chopsticks, they look it me like I'd just asked for all the cash in their register! Let me just say that I actually speak chinese & eat with chopsticks better than my chinese friends, who do both quite rubbishly.

I think its really weird when people assume that someone doesn't speak the same language as them. There's such an international community in Singapore I guess I'm always open to a German guy speaking Punjabi or an Indian guy speaking Spanish (both of which I've seen happen). I don't drop my jaw in amazement as most people do, they're just bilingual. It's not all that much of an achievement is it?!? I kinda think its a little bit funny, i.e. when I see a lot of Sindhi's here from Malaga & they look/act like Spanish people & can rattle off in Spanish for hours, or when they're from Hong Kong & speak Cantonese at rapid speed. But not WOW material.

But the most annoying thing for me is when Indian people, talk about me, with me standing right there, thinking that I can't understand them. Hindi, Punjabi, Tamil, Haryanvi, Gujrati, whatever. I understand you, you fool! They just act so cheap making comments & I can't be bothered actually wasting even a second of my time saying anything back to them. I usually just give them a look, which kinda lets them know I did understand what they said. But maybe I also don't say anything, 'cuz I really don't know what to say! It's the stupidest thing they could do, and its also kinda the reason I'm really apprehensive in hanging out a lot with the Indian community here. I don't mind getting to know some of them over cultural shows and stuff...but I really feel out of place in their 'get togethers'. I'm so glad I know some really nice desi people & it's a whole lot of fun when we do get together. We're like a huge group of 50 guys & girls, and these desi people are different from your usual FOBs.

Over the years we've celebrated diwali, holi, eid, christmas, pongal, onam and every other religious festival with such flair. Plus I'm really lucky to have some awesome international friends who're quite open to other cultures (and being as we're all from a different country, it does help!) and have always celebrated major holidays with me. My flat is such a melange of cultures we're constantly having a party for something or the other. With so much to celebrate, I have so many happy memories to take through with me in life.

In our flat we have 7 birthdays, 4 are in December, (try and imagine HOW many presents sit under our christmas tree which usually comes up in our flat at the end of November & stays up till January) we've got to celebrate diwali, holi, eid (at the end of ramadan), name day (a greek tradition), easter, the greek easter, onam, pongal, some buddhist holiday I can't remember, baisakhi, choti eid & christmas. Our flat is so full of parties, we don't need any more reason's to party! And I absolutely love it :)

When I was young & I heard people talking about the awesome experiences I was gonna have as I grew up, I had no idea they were gonna be this awesome! When people said 'In uni you'll make friends that'll last a lifetime', I had no idea those friendships were gonna grow & we were gonna become a part of each other's families. Celebrating every significant other, standing up for each other when someone was hurt, mourning losses or parents, getting excited about engagements & upcoming weddings, celebrating graduations, babies, birthdays & a whole load more! I love you guys & I love our 310 family.
So here's to the nights we can't remember, with the friends we'll never forget!

And I'm sick of eating this £1.60 a packet rip off of Kurkure. If anyone knows where to get Kurkure in the UK, or anyone's willing to post me a couple of packets from India- please get in touch!!!!! I miss my kurkure!!!!!!!

19 is the number of camels in the candyfloss sky:

Anonymous said...

Loved that pic above your blog title :)

The whole meaning of life ! that was funny :)

Abhijeet said...

glad i cud help!! ...really interesting blog ...njoyed readin' it

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

Mr.Hammer person, steal the picture if you like :) Glad it made you laugh, that's what I'm here for!

A-B-Jeet, glad you found my quirky musings interesting & enjoyable :) Have a great Sunday!!

DaPhillyFoodCritic said...

wow I am impressed by your skillz, what other languages can you speak?

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

Well Singapore has four national languages- English, Chinese, Tamil & Malay. My mum's french. My dad's a mix of a couple of Indian cultures & the people I've been living with for a couple of years are from Sri Lanka, Cuba, Finland, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Zimbabwe, Kenya, Greece, Holland & Maldives...so I've picked up quite a few languages along the way. I can't say it just comes naturally or anything, I enjoy foreign languages & definately do work hard to learn new things. I'm trying to learn some Spanish at the moment...buuut not going so brilliantly :)
And did you know, its said that studying medicine, is kind of like learning a really hard language. What with all the fancy words!
LOVING the new pictures by the way! =)

Anonymous said...

Get Well Soon!!

Nanhe Kissan said...

hey! you got a really nice group there.. I guess being bilingual is just a little overrated.. so people show surprise.. never mind them!

Puneet said...

haldiram thing is not bad but yeah kurkure is tastier...

get well soon, me just gotten better from a bad stomach & viral thing and all i ate was potatoes :/

Anonymous said...

so you dont visit me more

KP said...

nice blog..:).

wow u know lot of languages....:).

is that " kilt" is what those guys are wearing?? isnt it traditional scottish dress...:)

I did remember my cousins wedding reception in scottland couple of guys wearing "kilt" and playing flute...i beleive its traditional scottish dress....:)

gP said...

Hello! :) Nice blog, great posts.

True enough, we make friends with the world. Learning their cultures and languages brings immense enlightenment to us. Sometimes we wish why the whole world cant learn to love each other.

Oh and yeh tell me bout the languages, I dont know much Chinese, but I know when they scold me :P...but the worst is when they speak Telegu and Malayali in front of me, coz not that I hate it, just that I don't know whether they're scolding or something.

p/s: sorry came in late....grrr...been busy with work. Thanks for the comments and tube links.

Id it is said...

You are intriguing alright! Hope you are feeling better.
Thanks for stopping by.

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

Thanks for your comments Ravish & Palak :)

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

Puneet, this is the first time I actually tried that Haldiram stuff, it wasn't as awesome as Kurkure. I wan Kurkure so so bad!!! I love potatoes, but don't get to eat them as much...except jacket potatoes. Hope you're better now :)

Sam, sorry I don't visit. I've been spending a lot of time with my mum! We're busy travelling!

KP, that is a kilt, you got that right! It was a little hard to handle for the boys I think. You gotta keep your knees together when you wear skirts ;) We had a few censored shots too! ;P

Mr.Ghost Particle person, thank you for your comments, I can't remember what links I left on your blog, but glad they were useful/entertaining.

id it is- and the same to you =)

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

oh and 'id it is'- I'm feeling much better, thank you. It's all down to mum's cooking! =)

Vik said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

Hahaha! Sounds like fun Vik. I often get annoyed when people make a comment in a language they don't think I understand, but I've come back with some good come backs in my time I guess :)
I'll email you soon. I'm travelling a bit at the moment, but it's really sweet of you to offer, I've got few songs I want & its really hard to find them here (+ I can't download songs!!).

cheth said...

ha ha.. would you mind me sending it through mail ? kurkure rocks.!! :P

lavender tulips【ツ】 said...

I would never send anyone kurkure!!! Because if I managed to find them where I live, I would eat them all!!!! Muahahahaha *hugeevilgrin*